Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Recent Work: Sandhill Farm






Lately, I've been working on a story with writer and friend, Wade Livingstonabout three intentional communities near Rutledge, MO. For the past few weeks, I have been spending a significant amount of time at one specific community in Northeastern Missouri, Sandhill Farm. 


The seven adults and one child who call Sandhill home share money, cars and food. They grow about 90% of their food and produce items like sorghum syrup and honey to sell. Their connection to the land and each other is enviable.

The community welcomed me and granted me a chance to roam around the area surrounding the farm. It is hard not to fall in love with a simpler life. Although, I am not sure I could manage the amount of work involved in successfully stewarding the land.


It has been great working on this story, and I hope to spend more time up in Sandhill in the coming weeks and summer.










No comments: